Here’s a way to boost your holiday cheer this season: travel to a beautiful luxury sustainable hotel in the company of your loved ones.
Have you ever heard about the impact hotels have on local communities? Check out our blog post to learn how EHR helps their local communities thrive.
Eco Hotels & Resorts wants to see and promote real change. They deeply believe that the way of traveling needs to change and people need to be aware of the impact the travel industry has on our planet. A key aspect while traveling is focusing not only in not damaging the environment but in regenerating it. That is why they base their sustainability criteria on 12 different pillars taking into account the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) criteria.
Every hotel or resort in their collection is committed to each of these pillars, with the sole purpose of generating a good impact on the environment. Today we’re going to talk about one of their core pillars so you can get a better understanding of the importance and impact EHR has on this: community
What Is A Sustainable Community?
According to the ISC a sustainable community is a place where people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives feel welcome and safe, where every group has a seat at the decision-making table, and where prosperity is shared. They work to manage their human, natural and financial capital to meet their current needs and take into account the following elements in order to be considered a sustainable community:
- Equal opportunities for all individuals.
- A safe atmosphere of respect and tolerance for diverse viewpoints, beliefs, and values.
- Ecological integrity.
- Satisfaction of basic human needs for clean air, water and nutritious, uncontaminated food.
- Protection and enhancement of local and regional ecosystems and biological diversity.
- Conservation of water, land, energy and nonrenewable resources.
- Meaningful and equal employment opportunities for all members.